Porcelain veneers are handcrafted, custom-made, thin shells of dental porcelain placed on your front teeth. They are stain resistant and custom-tinted to blend with surrounding teeth. Veneers can dramatically transform your smile by correcting flaws such as chips, cracks, gaps, misalignment, stains, and misshapen teeth.
What Are Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers are wafer-thin, tooth colored, custom-made pieces of porcelain that adhere to the front surface of your existing tooth. They are used to improve the aesthetics of a tooth or to protect a tooth’s surface from damage. Veneers can change the color, shape and/or size of a tooth or set of teeth. They look very natural and are just as strong as existing teeth.
Veneers consist of a compilation of several thin ceramic layers, which replace original tooth enamel. Some veneers are fabricated using a composite material. Before you can apply a veneer, a very small amount of the original tooth enamel must be removed – usually less than a millimeter. This is essential as it creates room for the porcelain veneer to fit within the mouth and most accurately restores natural tooth function while creating an even better appearance than the original tooth.
When Are Porcelain Veneers a Good Option?
If your teeth are discolored due to root canals, medication or excessive fluoride, porcelain veneers can be a great solution. For teeth that are worn down or are broken or chipped, veneers will improve the appearance. Porcelain veneers can even replace teeth with large gaps or those that are misaligned, uneven or irregularly shaped.
In order to be a candidate for veneers, you must have good periodontal and overall oral health. You also need a sufficient amount of existing healthy enamel, since some enamel is removed during the procedure.
Advantages of Porcelain Veneers?
• It is nearly impossible to tell the difference between a veneer and a natural tooth
• Gum tissue tolerates porcelain well
• Since you choose the veneer color, you can brighten your smile by selecting a color that is whiter than your natural teeth
• Veneers resist food and tobacco stains
• Unlike crowns, your natural teeth remain largely intact with only minimal alterations
• Veneers can help you avoid orthodontic braces for minor twists, overlaps and gaps
• Since a portion of the original enamel is reduced, applying a veneer is not a reversible treatment
• Veneers require some laboratory time, so it takes about a week before they are ready
• When veneers are first applied, you might experience hot and cold sensitivity for a few days
• Although they are strong, porcelain veneers are also brittle – so you must be as careful as with your natural teeth
• Porcelain veneers are more costly than composite resin bonding
• If you have poor oral health or grind your teeth, porcelain veneers are not a viable solution
If you would like to learn more about dental veneers or find out if you are a good candidate, click here to request an appointment with your dentist at Masci & Hale Advanced Dentistry. Or call us at (845) 457-5763.